Want to contribute you time and skills to support children at a local school? Think VAST! We are currently recruiting volunteers for the VAST Program (Volunteers Assisting Teachers and Students) for Winter 2017. Click here to complete the application. Deadline: Monday October 24th, 2016.
In partnership with an elementary school in Regent Park, VAST volunteers serve as classroom assistants with students from JK to Grade 8. Volunteers commit to at least one morning or afternoon per week for a semester, the day and time depend on your schedule. As a VASTvolunteer you will support teachers and students with any range of classroom activities, primarily you are there to provide extra support to students that need it, to help students with the day’s activities and to encourage a positive approach to learning.
As a VAST volunteer you will have opportunities to:
- Contribute to a local school’s efforts to provide students with the supports they need to be successful;
- Develop a range of new skills in mentorship and tutoring;
- Deepen your awareness of issues in public education and of the factors that affect student success in marginalized communities;
- Gain classroom experience and receive a Participation Letter upon completion of the program
- Connect with others at Ryerson and in the local community;
We are looking for individuals who are committed, competent and caring. You must be a undergraduate student in the Faculty of Arts.
For more information please contact Mindy Vuong at firstname.lastname@example.org.