Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is Canada’s largest trauma centre, treating 1,100 patients annually. A traumatic experience can lead to posttraumatic stress disorder and depression, which increases hospital stays, emergency visits and disability. Despite the implementation of various treatments for PTSD, there is limited research on feasible preventive measures for reducing consequent PTSD. The department of psychiatry currently holds a Traumatic Brain Injury clinic and PTSD services for youth but lacks immediate intervention, prevention and adult services. This research will enable us to assess the feasibility of an early PTSD prevention intervention, with clear outcomes to assess impact on symptoms of early acute stress disorder, post traumatic stress and depression.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Bayview Campus)
Trauma, PTSD, Cancer/Psychosocial Oncology, Quality of Life, Mental Health
Dr. Janet Ellis, MB BChir, MD, FRCPC
- Participating in training/orientation sessions
- Screening and recruitment of Sunnybrook trauma/oncology patients (i.e. screen patients for eligibility, approach patients about participating, obtain informed consent and administer a questionnaire package)
- Communicate and work effectively with collaborating researcher/supervisor and other trauma/oncology staff members
- Enter data
- Assist with academic study paper write-up’s
- Assist with grant applications
- Perform other research and administrative tasks as requested
- emphasize our need for independent writing skills and experience
- Available to work on-site (Bayview Campus) a minimum of 15 hours per week (minimum 3 days per week)
- Volunteer for a one-year term from start date
- Someone who is highly flexible, and can come in on short notice (e.g., same-morning notice)
- Students who are looking to gain research experience in a clinical (trauma/oncology/psychiatry) setting
- Must be able to begin ASAP.
- Skill-set and experience in independent scientific / academic writing
- Skill-set and experience with Statistical Software Packages
- Must be highly mature, responsible and reliable individual with excellent social skills and organizational skills
- Must take direction well and be able to work reliably and independently once trained.
If you feel that your interests, experiences, skill-set and commitment level is in line with the above details, please email a cover letter and a copy of your current CV (include address, email and phone number) to Ben Diplock (Research Coordinator), at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.